4 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE
– Make a “Move” file folder to keep track of documentation and records of the moving process.
– Set up a calendar for your move to mark deadlines and reminders.
– Hold a garage sale to rid yourself of furniture, clothes and other items you’d prefer not to move.
– Contact a local charity to donate any unneeded furniture and items not sold in the garage sale.
– Collect boxes, tape, rope, wrapping/padding material and other moving supplies.
– Line up a moving company (or make reservations to rent a moving truck if you plan to move yourself).
– Gather doctors, dentists, other medical and school records.
– Put together (and keep accessible) all financial, tax, and employment documentation that may be needed during your loan process.
– Contact your insurance company to transfer your policies (life, auto, homeowners).
3 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE
– Set a cutoff date with your current utility providers (this can include telephone, gas, electric, water, garage, and cable).
– Establish a start date for utility services at your new home.
– Let friends and relatives know of your upcoming move.
– Donate canned goods and other non-perishable food items to a local charity to save the expense of moving them.
– Verify your Voter Registration information and make any necessary changes in light of your move.
– Register your new address with your subscriptions to newspapers, magazines, and association memberships.
– Complete a change of address card with your local post office.
– Research and keep record of tax deductions on moving expenses.
2 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE
– Transfer stocks, bonds, bank accounts, and contents of safety deposit boxes to a trusted financial institution near your new home.
– Organize the clothes you will be moving; separate them into suitcases, keeping those you need readily available.
– Review the moving checklist so far, making sure you are still on track for the move.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO MOVE
– Drain outdoor equipment: water from hoses, propane tanks from barbecue grills, and gas and oil from lawn mowers.
– Discard any aerosol, paint, oils, and all flammable and/or toxic chemicals.
– Label items you need to easily access and place them in a separate room or closet.
– Schedule a pest control company to service your home before moving — especially on new construction.
– Clean your refrigerator and let it air out at least 24 hours before moving.
MOVE OUT DAY
– Load items and boxes that you’ll need first last. (Those items packed last will be unloaded first.)
– Conduct a final walk through of your home once everything is out of the house; check cupboards, closets, behind doors, attics, stairwells, overhead in the garage, outside the home, and any storage sheds.
MOVE IN DAY
– Prepare your new home before the moving trucks arrive; have it clean and be prepared to instruct where you’d like items placed.
– Take some time, sit back, and enjoy your new home!